Creating a Diverse and
Inclusive Online Experience
at the Whatcom Literacy Council
To support everyone who uses our services, the Whatcom Literacy Council now provides enhanced accessibility support online to create a barrier-free user experience.
We pride ourselves on being a company that goes the extra mile to improve communication and quality of service for our learners, tutors, and staff. To fulfill this mission, we now provide Recite Me assistive technology on our website, which enables our visitors to customize their experience in a way that best suits their individual needs.
1 in 4 people in the US has a disability that can prevent them from reading and understanding online content. Those who are most susceptible to access barriers are those who struggle with:
- Decreased vision
- Learning difficulties
- Language/linguistic problems
- Attention disorders
- Physical disabilities
Recite Me assistive technology provides support for all of these, making our website an inclusive environment where people can access information hassle-free.
How do I access the Recite Me toolbar?
You can open the Recite Me language and accessibility toolbar by clicking on the “Accessibility & Language” button in the bottom right corner of the page.
This button now appears in the bottom right corner on every page of our website.
After you click on the button, the Recite Me toolbar opens at the top of the page and displays a range of different options for customizing the way the website looks and ways you can interact with the content.
How does Recite Me help me access this website?
Recite Me helps people access our website and customize the content in a way that works best for them.
The Recite Me toolbar has a unique range of functions. You can use it to:
- Read website text aloud (including PDFs)
- Download the text as an MP3 file to play it where and when it suits you
- Change font sizes and colors
- Customize background-color
- Translate text into more than 100 different languages
- Access a fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus
Guide to Using Recite Me
- All content read aloud in a natural voice
- 35 different language options
- Speed controls and Word by Word highlighting for total customization
- MP3 download to listen to content offline
- Text and color
- Website background color
- Text font type, including Open-Dyslexic
- Text only more to eliminating all styling, much like a Word document
- Ruler to read line by line
- Reading Mask to eliminate distraction
- Magnifier to zoom in too sections of text
- Fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus on site
- Margins to reposition text in text-only
- Recite Me quickly and easily translates on demand all your web content into over 100 languages, including 35 text to speech voices.
Learn more about Recite Me at reciteme.com or visit the user guide here.